LIFESTYLE & PREVENTIVE HEALTH
As each of us has our own genetic make-up as well as environmental and nutritional triggers, it is essential that lifestyle and preventive health is tailored to the individual. And while seeing your GP when you are unwell is important, there is much more that we can do in order to keep you healthy and prevent chronic disease. A healthy diet, regular exercise, stress management, healthy relationships and sleep can all help to prevent and even treat chronic non-communicable disease. Regular check-ups with your GP and appropriate investigations are also an important part of chronic disease prevention.
If you are interested in improving your overall health, please feel free to make an appointment to discuss with one of our GP’s.
What can I do to live a longer, happier and healthier life?
There is no one clear path to ensure a healthier and longer life, however there is increasing evidence supporting the following:
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet
- Exercise regularly, ideally at least 30 minutes per day
- Avoid smoking
- Limit alcohol to safe levels (no more than 2 standard drinks for women, or 4 for men, five days a week)
- Manage stress
- Maintain healthy personal relationships
- Have regular check-ups with your GP